We can make the Drupal project better and stronger by making the Drupal community a place where a wider range of people can participate and contribute their knowledge and skills. This talk will cover the importance of diversity in building a stronger community, where we've come from, where we're going, and how you can get involved.
Diverse communities are strong communities, and Drupal is less diverse than we would like. Open source has the potential to transform society for the better, but we are currently missing out on much of that opportunity. We can make the Drupal project better by making the Drupal community a place where a wider range of people can participate and contribute their knowledge and skills.
The Drupal Diversity & Inclusion (DDI) group is working to make the Drupal community more equitable and more successful. The group of volunteers was founded in 2016 and works to create space for important discussions about the Drupal community and for initiatives that support historically-marginalized communities and further their inclusion in the Drupal project.
This talk will cover:
- Why diversity is important to building a stronger community and platform.
- How we all encode biases into the software and communities we create.
- The state of diversity and inclusion in Drupal
- What the Drupal Diversity & Inclusion group has been doing to improve representation, engagement, and leadership.
- The plans for future DDI initiatives.
- Ways to get involved in diversity issues with DDI, or with your local community or your workplace.
This session will be co-presented with DDI leadership team member Tara King/@sparklingrobots!